Possible problem with rc script

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 21 04:52:01 PDT 2000

> In chapter 6 of lfs (to be more precise the chapter named
> "Creating the rc script"), the rc script contains the
> following lines :
>
>    # Stop the service if there is a start script
>    # in the previous run level.
>    [ ! -f $previous_start ] && [ ! -f sysinit_start] && continue
> --------------------------------------^
>
> Shoudn't that last line be :
>    [ ! -f $previous_start ] && [ ! -f $sysinit_start ] && continue
> --------------------------------------^
>
> On the other hand, I've just built lfs-2.3.5b, I've enjoyed it,
> and it works very well.

You're right.

It appears that pasting a script literally into SGML for some reason
does not work. I had pasted all the scripts into SGML from /etc/init.d
and after I pasted them in the book I made no changes to my /etc/init.d
directory. My /etc/init.d/rc is proper (ie: that missing $ is present)
but it got lost in the paste. That teaches me to blindly trust a
copy/paste in the future. I'll check to see if it's present in the SGML
file. If so, I'll check if I have to generate a $ symbol in SGML using a
special tag (like you get a > by insert > and < by inserting < and
a & by inserting & - much like you do in HTML files).

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org