sed usage

Hendrik Volker Brunn hvb at gmx.net
Fri Jul 21 03:45:19 PDT 2000

I have some thoughts about your sed usage:

I'd prefer this use:

cp Makefile Makefile2

sed s/"..."/"..."/ Makefile2 >Makefile

So you even have a backed up Makefile in case you mistyped something. And
further please use "" everywhere, just in case someone uses them in
shell scripts as

sed /XConsoles/#Xconsole/ ...

can be somewhat confusing (no I wasn't confused, I had noticed while
typing).

hvb

--
"Denken sie auch, oder schlurfen sie nur sinnlos ueber die Erde?" (Kafka)