Crontab

Avery Fay afay at ultranet.com
Thu Jul 20 10:30:18 PDT 2000

> > We have been discussing that. Opinions differ on it. I say cron isn't
> > part of a basic system. Others say it is. It's one of these user
> > preferences. I try to keep the system build using the book as bare as
> > possible yet still a full development system.
>
> The question should be: will EVERYONE need that at least once? The answer
is
> clearly no with cron. I don't use cron. The earlier debate about perl is
> clearly YES. Everyone needs perl once. I tried not to install perl. It's
> impossible. There's always something that needs perl. So, since you're
gonna
> need it along the way, you'd better install it the right way, the LFS way.

If you just ask the question "will everyone need it atleast once?" then
there are clearly other programs that could go. For example, not everyone
will need to have man installed. Obviously, almost everyone needs man unless
they have all the commands that they use memorized. But I would argue that
with the new kernel module daemon (kmod not kerneld) almost everyone will
want cron. kmod doesn't remove modules like kerneld did. It leaves the
cleanup to the user. So, unless you want to check which modules you have
installed and remove the unneeded ones every 15 minutes, you need a cron
job. Personally, I don't really care if it gets in the book because I can
always install it on my own. However, I do believe that kmod makes it part
of the basic system software.

Avery Fay