perl, automake, autoconf

Andre Pang andrep-ml at vjolnir.org
Tue Jul 18 21:51:20 PDT 2000

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 06:25:58PM -0700, Mark Stone wrote:

> I hate to say this, because I'm a fairly avid Perl hater (this coming from
> a guy who used to edit/write books for O'Reilly), but I think you have to
> keep Perl. It may not be essential in a "legalistic" sense, but you're
> going to hit a dead end quickly with lots of popular apps if you don't
> have Perl installed.
>
> What exactly does Perl do that Tcl doesn't do better? And don't say
> regular expressions; that hasn't been true since Tcl 8.1. Just curious.

    see:

    http://www.perl.com/pub/language/versus/tcl-discussion.html
    http://www.perl.com/pub/language/versus/tcl-complaints.html

    my own experience of Tcl is that it was great to begin with -- start
building larger scripts with it and you'll start hating it.

--
/ #ozone <andrep at vjolnir.org>; (mobile# 0411 882299)
                               trust in love to save