perl, automake, autoconf

Mark Stone mstone at valinux.com
Tue Jul 18 18:25:58 PDT 2000

I hate to say this, because I'm a fairly avid Perl hater (this coming from
a guy who used to edit/write books for O'Reilly), but I think you have to
keep Perl. It may not be essential in a "legalistic" sense, but you're
going to hit a dead end quickly with lots of popular apps if you don't
have Perl installed.

What exactly does Perl do that Tcl doesn't do better? And don't say
regular expressions; that hasn't been true since Tcl 8.1. Just curious.

Mark

 Mark Stone                                         VA Linux Systems
 mstone at valinux.com                        Publisher, VA Media Group
 (408)542-5745          Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Linux Technology