perl, automake, autoconf

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 18 17:35:57 PDT 2000

I think these three packages are the three packages that most people
don't use. I'm wondering what you guys think. Should perl, autoconf and
automake stay in the book or couldn't you guys care less if I would
remove it from the book.

If you need perl you can always install it yourself. I'm merely
wondering if it's part of a basic system. Although every configure
script looks for the perl scripts from the autoconf and automake
package, they don't actually use it since configure is a stand alone
script. I know of very few people who manually edit configure.in files
to make changes and then need to run autoconf to re-create the configure
script. Or who edit Makefile.am files and then need to run automake to
re-create the Makefile.in file which will be converted to Makefile by
configure.

Comments? Opinions?

LFS-2.3.6 will be released Thursday. It's really easy to remove the
three packages from the book so if I have enough respons I'll remove it.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org