Nice MS bug

Wim Kerkhoff wim at netmaster.com
Tue Jul 18 16:44:47 PDT 2000

That's a pretty simple check...

On 18-Jul-2000 Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> I wonder what software ftp.microsoft.com runs. MS probably doesn't even
> run MS Windows on their servers (go figure)

wim at debianwim:~$ ftp ftp.microsoft.com
Connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
220 cpmsftftpa03 Microsoft FTP Service (Version 5.0).
Name (ftp.microsoft.com:wim): ftp
331 Anonymous access allowed, send identity (e-mail name) as password.
Password:
230-This is FTP.MICROSOFT.COM. Please see the
230-dirmap.txt for more information.
230 Anonymous user logged in.
Remote system type is Windows2000.
ftp> quit
221 Thank you for using Microsoft Products!

*shudder* I feel evil.

wim at debianwim:~$ telnet 207.46.130.14 80
Trying 207.46.130.14...
Connected to 207.46.130.14.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 403 Access Forbidden
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0

So, it seems like all the microsoft.com webservers (there 5 of them for load
balancing) run Win2K with IIS 5 as well.

Wim