Nice MS bug

Simon Perreault nomis80 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 18 14:03:34 PDT 2000

> Apparently when you access something in MS Windows that has /con/con in
> it's path, the system crashes. I had to try that so I fired up my
> notebook with Win95 on it. I entered /con/con/con.exe in Start - Run...
> and yup "A fatal exception 0E has occurred at..."

Do you mean \con\con, or literally /con/con?

Does \con need to be a top-level directory?

Does the file need to be present?

Does it work on Win98?

The only thing I get, is that when I try to create the directory c:\con, it
says "Cannot create or replace file: The filename you specified is invalid
or too long. Specify a different filename." I don't have any other file/dir
named "con". Anyway, that alone is a good reason to leave MS alone. "I
wanted to create a \con dir to hold stuff related to con, and I can't! I
guess I'll have to do it in Linux."