Some thoughts.

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 18 09:10:40 PDT 2000

> 3) If someone finds in a stable release some typos, it can help others if a
> new release of the stable version is done but than with a patch level. e.g.:
> stable release: 2.2, stable release with some typos fixed: 2.2.1. This is of
> course only useful to correct typos, not to add some features.

I don't do such things because it's a lot of work to maintain. When a
stable is released and I start making changes it'll become the next
development stream. So even when I just fixed a typo in a stable one
(like 2.2) it'll mean the next development (2.3.x in this case) has
begun.

2.3.6 which will be released in a couple of days is very stable (it's
actually the second last version before I expect 2.4 - the next stable
to be released) but still oficially called unstable. If you follow
instructions in 2.3.5b to the letter you will not end up with a working
LFS system. That's why it's not stable (although 2.3.6 will give you a
working LFS system if you do it literally by the book).

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org