Some thoughts.

Simon Perreault nomis80 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 18 08:00:42 PDT 2000

> Hi,

> First of all, I must say that LFS is great. Finally, I have a Linux

Yay!

> installation just like I want it. Keep up that good work.
> This is also my first post here, so if I'm writing something here that's
> already discussed, please don't shoot me. Thanks.

Only cyber-shooting will take place... heheh. That shouldn't hurt too much.
(joking).

> I have notes about the HOWTO. Perhaps they can be helpful.

LFS-Book, please.

> 1) I'm installing LFS (2.2) using the Finnix distribution because I didn't

Use 2.3.x instead. Gerard, shouldn't you say so on the webpage itself?
People are choosing 2.2, thinking it is more stable, like I choose to
install a stable kernel vs. a development one. This would solve a lot of
problems.

> had a distribution installed. Finnix is booting and running straight from
> CD-ROM. It places some parts in RAM, so that everything works. You can
find
> some more info at http://www.finnix.org/ Putting a pointer into the HOWTO
> this distro, might be helpful to people who don't have installed a
> full-blown installation.

You can use whatever distro you want, as long as you have the necessary
development tools, such as GCC, vi, etc. Also, since, in your particular
case, you use a read-only distro, you should make sure it contains the
correct version of GCC, since you wouldn't be able to install the new one if
necessary.

> 2) In the list with URLs from where you can download the source packages,
is
> it perhaps nice to include some filenames in case you need to download
more
> than 1 file. e.g.: Vim requires 2 files to download, but there it nothing
> that says you need to download 2 files. Well, at least not in the
beginning
> of the HOWTO.

In the 2.3.x LFS-Book, both files are mentioned.

> 3) If someone finds in a stable release some typos, it can help others if
> new release of the stable version is done but than with a patch level.
e.g.:
> stable release: 2.2, stable release with some typos fixed: 2.2.1. This is
of
> course only useful to correct typos, not to add some features.

The stable release is, despite it's name, the 2.3.x one. Maybe Gerard will
not agree with this statement, but 2.2 is really only useful for installing
optional software like network server/client service software, XFree86 and
others. That should be mentioned on the webpage. "2.3.x is the stable one,
and if you want guidelines for optional software, there are some in the 2.2
release."

> Now, something else. It is a little bit off-topic. At the Debian site it
is
> possible to download the sources. But every package gives 2 tarballs. The
> first ends with '.orig.tar.gz', the second with normal extention
'.tar.gz'.
> I think the first one contains all the sources like they can be downloaded
> from other sites, the second one contains Debian-specific adjustments. My
> question is: is this correct and can I use those tarballs to install those
> programs ?

Dunno. I'd stick with the official ones, not even the ones on Debian's site.
But someone who knows might try.