Some thoughts.

Andy Peeters andy.peeters at advalvas.be
Tue Jul 18 06:56:38 PDT 2000

Hi,

First of all, I must say that LFS is great. Finally, I have a Linux
installation just like I want it. Keep up that good work.
This is also my first post here, so if I'm writing something here that's
already discussed, please don't shoot me. Thanks.

I have notes about the HOWTO. Perhaps they can be helpful.
1) I'm installing LFS (2.2) using the Finnix distribution because I didn't
had a distribution installed. Finnix is booting and running straight from a
CD-ROM. It places some parts in RAM, so that everything works. You can find
some more info at http://www.finnix.org/ Putting a pointer into the HOWTO to
this distro, might be helpful to people who don't have installed a
full-blown installation.

2) In the list with URLs from where you can download the source packages, is
it perhaps nice to include some filenames in case you need to download more
than 1 file. e.g.: Vim requires 2 files to download, but there it nothing
that says you need to download 2 files. Well, at least not in the beginning
of the HOWTO.

3) If someone finds in a stable release some typos, it can help others if a
new release of the stable version is done but than with a patch level. e.g.:
stable release: 2.2, stable release with some typos fixed: 2.2.1. This is of
course only useful to correct typos, not to add some features.

Now, something else. It is a little bit off-topic. At the Debian site it is
possible to download the sources. But every package gives 2 tarballs. The
first ends with '.orig.tar.gz', the second with normal extention '.tar.gz'.
I think the first one contains all the sources like they can be downloaded
from other sites, the second one contains Debian-specific adjustments. My
question is: is this correct and can I use those tarballs to install those
programs ?

Greetings, Andy.