? about upgrading packages - strategy ?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 13 19:07:21 PDT 2000

> My question is this, "If I choose to do this, what other packages in
> the book must I rebuild? Can I do it without having to go back and
> recompile every other package from scratch?"

It's a good idea to recompile all packages if you upgrade to the new
binutils. You don't have to do it, but since that binutils version is
causing some problems it's perhaps the safest thing to do. Or you can
just leave it by that and only reinstall a package when you actually
experience problems with a package.

If you upgrade ncurses you have to recompile all packages that depend on
ncurses. These include, but not exclusive, bash, procinfo, psmisc and
procps. Others I can't think of by head.

But because ncurses 5.1 is a minor upgrade, you may not have to
reinstall the other packages. A program compiled against ncurses 5.0
should work when you upgrade to ncurses 5.1, but there are never
guarantees.

To recap:
when upgrading binutils you don't need to reinstall anything else (but
keep an eye out for problems because software created with the older
binutils can be buggy)

When upgrading ncurses, you may not have to do anything, but ncurses
based programs may not run well anymore. If that's the case you have to
reinstall that particulair package.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org