? about upgrading packages - strategy ?

J.A. Neitzel jan.listbox at belvento.org
Thu Jul 13 17:12:38 PDT 2000

Can anyone give a perspective on this?

I would like to upgrade the following packages:
1. from Binutils (2.9.5.x.x)  to  Binutils (2.10)
--<and maybe>--
2. from Ncurses (5.0)  to  Ncurses (5.1)

My question is this, "If I choose to do this, what other packages in
the book must I rebuild? Can I do it without having to go back and
recompile every other package from scratch?"

Probably, I would at least have to rebuild GCC and GLIBC. What are
the things I should look at to know which software I would have to
redo... I know `ldd <filename>` tells me a lot about libs I need to
keep around... But, perhaps this is not relevant to my question.

My LFS works as it stands. I don't want to horribly break
anything..! ;-) I would welcome any suggestions...
--
Regards,
J.A. Neitzel
jan at belvento.org