big layout change

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 13 09:42:05 PDT 2000

I'm going to experiment with a new layout. The main change will be made
in current chapter 5.

As it is now all programs are installed in chapter 5.3 and 5.4 and they
contain a long long list with a lot of packages.

What I want to do is to include the information from appendix a before
you actually install a program. That way you don't have to go from
chapter 5 to appendix a and back to learn about a package before you
install it.

If this is done, the list in chapters 5.3 and 5.4 will be a *lot* longer
than they are now. So my idea is to give every package it's own page. On
this page you read the description, contents of the package and
installation instructions and later on dependency information.

Now, such a page might become too crowded if you're just interested in
the installation instruction, but I'm going to give it a try anyways.
Thanks to modular SGML I can undo these changes and go back to the old
layout real quick so if we don't like it, 2.3.7 will have the old (read:
current) layout again and it will be up to the reader to read appendix a
when he or she wants to learn more about a package.

Now, another result is that since every package will have it's own page,
it will appear in the Table of Contents, similar to how you see the list
of packages in Appendix A. This mean the TOC (Table of Contents) will
grow a lot, but I don't think that will be a big deal (this also makes
it easier for you to jump to a specific package instead of opening
chapter 5.3 and browse down till you find the desired package).

I also have been thinking about splitting chapter 5 up in two different
chapters. Chapter 5 would then contain the preparation of the LFS
partition (including the information the preceeds it like the part about
compiler optimization) and a new chapter 6 will contains building the
actual system. I won't do that right now though, but it's something that
I might try for 2.3.7 (and if we don't like either of the new layouts,
2.4 will just have the layout as we know it right now).

Comments on this idea?

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org