About LFS

Thomas 'Balu' Walter tw at itreff.de
Wed Jul 12 01:17:30 PDT 2000

+-Gerard Beekmans-(gerard at linuxfromscratch.org)-[11.07.00 16:52]:
> > I have two suggestion too:
> > 1 Could you perhaps mention in the package listing in the appendix which
> > packages the current one requires to be installed?
>
> That's a long and very tedious process. The main problem is that it's
> not easy to find a number of dependencies. Say you installed the
> fileutils package a while ago. The you install something like (I'm just
> making this up) vim. Vim requires flex. But flex might require
> fileutils, but since fileutils is already installed that dependency
> isn't seen quickly.

Perhaps we could enter that into some kind of "Knowledge Base".
(Gerard - you were building some kind of this?)

Most dependencies are (or better should) described in the INSTALL or
README file of the package. We could easily add all dependencies we
found and if someone has problems because this or that does not exist he
could add it...

     Balu