Login prompt

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 10 17:50:13 PDT 2000

> The only way to do this is to set the hostname incorrectly
>
> # hostname cascade

It might be incorrect, but it's common practice. The resolver library
should be able to handle it just fine though, as long as the hostname is
listed in /etc/hosts

gerard:~$ hostname
lfs
gerard:~$ hostname -vf
gethostname()=`lfs'
Resolving `lfs' ...
Result: h_name=`lfs.linuxfromscratch.org'
Result: h_aliases=`lfs'
Result: h_addr_list=`192.168.1.1'
lfs.linuxfromscratch.org

As you see it's able to resolve my FQDN through /etc/hosts.

> But that is no good - I need it to show the proper hostname when I type
> hostname.  I already have an alias in my /etc/hosts file.
>
> # Begin /etc/hosts
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> 10.0.0.1     cascade.veldy.net       cascade
>
> # End /etc/hosts
>
> I still get the wrong prompt (with FQHN).

Weird yes.
I have noticed that sometimes (not sure why. Can be the way glibc is
compiled or whatever) you need to come up with a FQDN for 127.0.0.1 as
well. A commonly used entry is:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

As long as the first entry contains a dot somewhere it's considered a
FQDN. That might fix things but perhaps not.

It would help if you can give the output of 'hostname -vf'

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org