Login prompt

Thomas T. Veldhouse veldy at veldy.net
Mon Jul 10 12:01:40 PDT 2000

In case I misinterpretted your email.  I will reiterate what I want to do
and what I am doing now.

I want my login to appear like

cascade login:

and not

cascade.veldy.net login:

The only way to do this is to set the hostname incorrectly

# hostname cascade

But that is no good - I need it to show the proper hostname when I type
hostname.  I already have an alias in my /etc/hosts file.

# Begin /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1       localhost
10.0.0.1     cascade.veldy.net       cascade

# End /etc/hosts

I still get the wrong prompt (with FQHN).

Tom Veldhouse
veldy at veldy.net