Login prompt

Thomas T. Veldhouse veldy at veldy.net
Mon Jul 10 11:30:00 PDT 2000

That is no good.  Postfix, for one, complains about it.  I can override it
in a config file - but the problem is not the hostname.  Slackware handles
it correctly - but I don't have access to slackware init scripts currently -
assuming that is where it is handled.  If my machines hostname is
cascade.veldy.net - then that is the answer I should expect from hostname.
On my freebsd machine - login: is the only prompt - and hostname is set
correctly.

# hostname -s
cascade

# hostname
cascade.veldy.net

I am thinking the answer must be some environment variable that bash
interprets when it is invoked as an interactive login shell, but I haven't
been able to determine what that might be.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy at veldy.net