Login prompt

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 10 10:06:48 PDT 2000

> Sure, take a look at:
>
> http://fancylogin.sourceforge.net/
>
> It'll do what you want and more...I personally like the AS/400 Theme. :)
>
> -T
>
> > Does anybody know how to customize the login prompt?  I am not talking
> about
> > the login message that comes out of /etc/issue.  I have that working fine.
> > I would like the prompt to NOT show my hostname.  Right now I see:

Or the easy way to have it display the short hostname:

set hostname to a non-FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name), like
"# hostname lfs"

Then /etc/hosts contains

<IP> <FQDN> [alias1] [alias2] [...]

I recommend adding the hostname ('lfs' in my example) as one of the
aliasses.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org