errors on login after reboot

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 10 10:03:45 PDT 2000

> Hello everybody,
> almost there....  got to rebooting, and everything went wacky; I think
> it's probably something mistyped in my scripts, but i'm not really sure
> where.  I'm using 2.3.5b, and kernel 2.40-test2, but i get the same
> thing if i try with my 2.2.14 kernel from redhat 6.2...  I've attached
> the results, Thanks!

A few problems have already been pointed out, but I have a few
additional ones.

> INIT: cannot execute "/etc/init.d/rsS"

file name is rcS not rsS

> INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
> stty: invalid argument 'onclr'

make that: stty onlcr

> Starting system log daemon...start-stop-daemon: stat /usr/bin/syslogd:
> No such file or
> directory

make that: /usr/sbin/syslogd, not /usr/bin

> /etc/rc3.d/S03sysklogd: evaluate_retval: command not found

add a space between the . (dot) and /etc (in the . /etc/init.d/functions
line). I'll add a note about this. More people seem to have this kind of
problem with certain fonts they're using.

> Password:
> login[17]: unable to change tty '/dev/tty1' for user 'root'
>
> Unable to change tty /dev/tty1: Illegal seek

This means the login program was not able to change the ownership of
/dev/tty1 to the user root and group tty. This is almost always due to
the fact that the root file system has not been mounted in read-write
mode (but I believe you have already solved that particulair problem.
Probably because there was no space between . and /etc/init.d/functions)

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org