x86 problems

Mark Stone mstone at valinux.com
Sun Jul 9 20:01:15 PDT 2000

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, John Phillips wrote:

> Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote
>
> > Where did linux86 come from originally anyway?
>
> I have been asking myself that.  This is what seems to be the fairly
> complex story:
>
> * bin86 seems to originate from an 8086 development environment (bcc,
>   as and ld) developed by Bruce Evans.  The bin86 package seems only to
>   contain the as and ld parts.
>
> * bin86 up to about 0.4 seems to have been used mainly for Linux kernel
>   compilation and was developed (according to my interpretation of the
>   README file) with contributions from Linus Torvalds and H.J. Lu.

HJ works with me at VA Linux Systems. Perhaps I should ask him about the
current state of bin86? It might be good if someone could summarize what
we think the gist of our problems are. No promises, but I can see if he
has any insights.

Mark

 Mark Stone                                         VA Linux Systems
 mstone at valinux.com                        Publisher, VA Media Group
 (408)542-5745          Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Linux Technology