newer MAKEDEV

John Phillips lfs at linux.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 9 04:23:53 PDT 2000

Raffaele Brancaleoni wrote
> noadie wrote:
>
>> I don't know about the newest MAKEDEV but I have noticed that to get
>> MAKEDEV to work properly I needed to had several new groups to the group
>> file.
>>
>> MAKEDEV wants the groups:
>> daemon
>> sys
>> tty
>> disk
>> kmem
>> uucp
>> floppy
>> and maybe others!
>
> All the groups needed are indicated in the 30 first lines of the script.
> Are there some conventions (genereal behaviour, logical order,...) about
> GID for these groups ?

There is an emerging standard in the Linux Standards Base.  It currently
says (as I interpret it) that there should be these user:group entries
in /etc/passwd:

root:root
bin:bin
daemon:daemon
adm:adm
lp:lp
sync:sync
shutdown:shutdown
halt:halt
mail:mail
uucp:uucp
operator:root
games:users
gopher:gopher
ftp:ftp
man:man
majordom:majordom
gdm:gdm
postgres:database
mysql:database
nobody:nobody

It then says that UID and GID for root shall be 0 and that UID and GID
for bin shall be 1.  Other numbers are not specified.  That's all I know.

LSB is rather new. MAKEDEV is rather old and not expected to survive
the introduction of kernel 2.4.  Thus I suspect any attempt to match
MAKEDEV's users and groups to the LSB is probably only of transitory use.

John Phillips           john at linux.demon.co.uk