x86 problems

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 7 13:36:11 PDT 2000

> OK, I'm working on my first 2.3.5 install, having done a successfull 2.3.4
> install on a different machine.
>
> I've been bitten by the bin86/linux86 problem. I'm in the chroot'd
> environment and can't get either one to compile. Well, not exactly true.
> Here's the outcome: linux86 won't make at all. With bin86, I can't do what
> the book says, which is "make -e", but it will compile with just plain
> "make". I'm forging ahead and hoping this is OK. I know this has been
> prolifically discussed on the mailing list, but alas: (1) these messages
> haven't made it to the mailing list archive yet, and (2) I didn't save
> them myself.

The general fix is get rid of bin86 and use linux86 (the link is
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/download/linux86-0.14.3-lfs.tar.gz)

If you have problems compiling linux86, please insert the output of
'make' in here. linux86 instructions:
cd as; make as86; make install
cd ../ld; make ld86; make install

To comment on the problems with the -e parameter: the -e option will be
removed from 2.3.6. Although it doens't hurt to override CFLAGS in
Makefile files for the basic system software it does hurt a package or
two that aren't menioned in the book. It's better then not to teach to
install software with 'make -e'.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org