Package Management

Thomas 'Balu' Walter tw at itreff.de
Fri Jul 7 10:35:15 PDT 2000

+-Donnie Roos-(list at kaneda.demon.nl)-[07.07.00 18:32]:
> At 08:56 PM 7/6/00 +0200, you wrote:
>
> >Files will be added if you want them to. You also need to install
> >extra packages doing this by hand - or did you never have to get this
> >or that library after configure/make failed?
>
> Yes, I did. I don't mind doing it. What I do mind is some
> management software doing it automatically.
> I don't have a lot of experience with rpm or deb. But all this
> automagic installation gets me confused (maybe it is just Redhat
> defaults ?)

If you want to get a quick view look into the rpm-howto. Not much to
read, but interesting anyway :)

> >What I did not like of my distri (SuSE) was that there were dependencies
> >that I was not able to understand (why do I need apache if I want to
> >analyze logfiles with webmaker?)
>
> Ah, yes :)
> Thats a good example to toss it all in the bin and just start
> from scratch (which I did, bye,bye Redhat)

I think this is only a good example for a bad configured package - not
for rpm (or deb, or whatever)

Let's wait for ALFS and see what it will get :)
Bryan and Jesse were my opponents ;) in a little discussion today.

Just wanted to let you know that #lfs on irc.linuxfromscratch.org
is often able to help you out of your problems very fast :)

You don't have to sit and chat there all the time.

     Balu