Package Management

Donnie Roos list at kaneda.demon.nl
Thu Jul 6 14:15:33 PDT 2000

At 08:56 PM 7/6/00 +0200, you wrote:

>That was mine point to, but after doing my third LFS-Install I really
>would like to have a system that does most of the things automagically.
>I know that ALFS-development just started, but this will not help to
>get additional software managed.

>>>The Problem: unmanaged, unassociated...
>> Uhhm, no. I manage my system. I want/need to know the associations.

>Hm you know them all? RPMs is a nice way to remember them :)

nope. but i really want to. clustering "packages" as Gerard does
seems a good solution when you have a lot of software installed.

>Files will be added if you want them to. You also need to install
>extra packages doing this by hand - or did you never have to get this
>or that library after configure/make failed?

Yes, I did. I don't mind doing it. What I do mind is some
management software doing it automatically.
I don't have a lot of experience with rpm or deb. But all this
automagic installation gets me confused (maybe it is just Redhat
defaults ?)

>What I did not like of my distri (SuSE) was that there were dependencies
>that I was not able to understand (why do I need apache if I want to
>analyze logfiles with webmaker?)

Ah, yes :)
Thats a good example to toss it all in the bin and just start
from scratch (which I did, bye,bye Redhat)

>Never mind. I like LFS the way it is - and I love to discuss things
>on #LFS that were already discussed :), but I don't like to compile KDE2.
>Had to be said ;)

This was already discussed on #LFS ?
I don't do IRC (yet) it would cost me too much money.
The telephone-bill is big enough already :(

Donnie Roos