static for recovery (was Finshed... but probs...)

SamBC sambc at nights.force9.co.uk
Thu Jul 6 13:28:21 PDT 2000

<SNIP>

> I do admit that this isn't the perfect way to do things. Now we have
> basically two options and I'm willing to use one of them in the book.
>
> 1) link bash statically (that means we just don't recompile bash when we
> entered the chroot environment)
>
> 2) we change the libdir of ncurses into /lib
>
> I prefer the second way. A static bash is larger than a dynamic bash
> naturally. Since ncurses is going to be installed anyways we could just
> install it's library files in /lib instead of /usr/lib

The second way does make more sense generally, although it flies in the face
of convention (as far as I have seen it) as ncurses does *always* seem to be
/usr/lib... I don't know if there is a reason...

For that, I assume that the bash in distros is either linked statically or
does not link against ncurses. Anyone know which, as it may make more sense
to do it one way or the other if we know how others do it...

SamBC
The Movement for simpleLinux	https://sourceforge.net/projects/simpleLinux/
	  site soon to be at	http://simplelinux.sourceforge.net