static for recovery (was Finshed... but probs...)

Thomas 'Balu' Walter tw at itreff.de
Thu Jul 6 12:24:04 PDT 2000

+-Gerard Beekmans-(gerard at linuxfromscratch.org)-[06.07.00 21:12]:
> > Gerard - What about the sash, I mentioned some mails ago?
>
> have not checked it out. Will do when I have some more time on my hands.
> Though this question raises:
>
> if sash is used what's the point of having mount/umount and such still
> available? So is sash good enough that it can replace traditional
> programs like mount/umount we get from util-linux ?

I don't think it is meant as a replacement for traditional utilities and far
not as a replacement for bash.

The freshmeat-appindex says:

  Sash is a stand-alone shell for system recovery in Linux. Its purpose is to
  make system recovery possible in many cases where there are missing shared
  libraries or executables. It does this by firstly being linked statically,
  and secondly by including versions of many of the standard utilities within
  itself. Some of these built-in commands are chattr, chmod, chown, cp, dd, ed,
  find, grep, gzip, ln, ls, mkdir, mknod, more, mount, mv, rm, and tar.

I think it is one of the things that can be called big-static (did not try it)
and should not be used as a regular shell. I am wondering if it supports
bash-scripting...

     Balu