Package Management

Thomas T. Veldhouse veldy at veldy.net
Thu Jul 6 11:41:24 PDT 2000

> try using --prefix=/tmp/package when installing it. From /tmp/package
> you can find out which files it has installed for you. Since those are
> normally put in /usr or /usr/local you can easily transform the
> directory structure into the normal one in your spec file.

Some packages, like glibc, are smart and change according to your prefix.
For instance, if you are installing on a linux system and
using --prefix=/usr, it will place many of the libraries in /lib, because it
knows that is your "intent".   It won't do this if you
use --prefix=/usr/local.

> > Especiall finding new installed files is much work and you have to
> > list them all inside the spec-file.

Here is what I do to find out which files have been installed.

touch install.time
make install
find / -cnewer install.time -type f > temp.log
find / -cnewer install.time -type l >> temp.log
cat temp.log | ./logfilter > install.log

This will create the file list for you.  The "logfilter" is a program that I
wrote that will determine which files are documents and which are regular
files and then output them to the standard stream under %files and %doc as
you would want in a spec file (it removes select entries such as those in
/var/log and /proc).  That way I can create just the "top" of the spec file
and then cat install.log >> some.spec.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy at veldy.net