Package Management

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 6 10:43:53 PDT 2000

> Especiall finding new installed files is much work and you have to
> list them all inside the spec-file.

try using --prefix=/tmp/package when installing it. From /tmp/package
you can find out which files it has installed for you. Since those are
normally put in /usr or /usr/local you can easily transform the
directory structure into the normal one in your spec file.

> Ever thought of installing to /usr/packagename-version and linking
> /usr/packagename to this? Makes installing new versions easier (and if
> the newer sdoes not work - switch back to the old by just changing
> the link.

I've thought of it, and I do it for packages like X, KDE and QT. Why not
for the rest? I don't know, no real good reason.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org