static for recovery (was Finshed... but probs...)

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 6 10:33:16 PDT 2000

> Yes sirree!  Think if bash were linked against a library (i.e. ncurses) on
> /usr/lib.  You would never boot that system again (without a bootdisk
> intervention) - assuming your /usr is on a different partition.

As far as I can see, bash is the only program residing in /bin that
needs a library that resides in /usr/lib

I do admit that this isn't the perfect way to do things. Now we have
basically two options and I'm willing to use one of them in the book.

1) link bash statically (that means we just don't recompile bash when we
entered the chroot environment)

2) we change the libdir of ncurses into /lib

I prefer the second way. A static bash is larger than a dynamic bash
naturally. Since ncurses is going to be installed anyways we could just
install it's library files in /lib instead of /usr/lib

Opinions? Flames?

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org