Package Management

Thomas 'Balu' Walter tw at itreff.de
Thu Jul 6 06:54:58 PDT 2000

+-Gerard Beekmans-(gerard at linuxfromscratch.org)-[06.07.00 15:09]:
> > After having successfully installed the LFS system and a few other programs like sshd, apache, php, etc...  i reallize the end result is nothing but a mess that somehow magically works!

I also thought of building RPMs (LSB suggests them btw), but building those
SPEC-Files is not so easy.

Especiall finding new installed files is much work and you have to
list them all inside the spec-file.

Compiling an application is not so difficult. You just have to get the
rpm-source-file and give rpm the right options. It then unpacks the
_original_ tarball, patches it if needed and configures and makes it
just as done by hand.

> what one thinks is a mess somebody else thinks is an organized bunch of
> files (if you have installed LFS literally over a hundred time one gets
> used to all the files and almost knows exactly which files belongs to
> what package). For the 10th time or so here's one thing you can do
> without needing to install a package system (I still feel if I start
> using RPM I'm just building RedHat from scratch. Or when I start using
> deb I start building a Debian system from scratch more or less).

:-) From the RPM-HOWTO (http://www.rpm.org)A
We would like to thank the folks from the BOGUS distribution for many of their
ideas and concepts that are included in RPM.
While RPM was completely written by Red Hat, Inc., its operation is based on
code written by BOGUS (PM and PMS).

So you build a BOGUS-System 8o).

SCNR - using the GNU-tar builds a GNU-System ;)

> All my packages are installed in /usr/packagename except the stuff
> that's in /bin and /sbin (there are still a few things in /usr/bin but
> I'm gradually removing them and installing the corresponding packages to
> /usr/packagename).

Ever thought of installing to /usr/packagename-version and linking
/usr/packagename to this? Makes installing new versions easier (and if
the newer sdoes not work - switch back to the old by just changing
the link.

     Balu