gcc 2.95.2 problems

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 6 05:37:38 PDT 2000

> I've had a number of problems with the compiler.

When having problems read the bottom part of the section in chapter 5
about "compiler optimization":

Please note that overriding the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS values can cause
problems. Some packages define marco's and other options in the CFLAGS
and CXXFLAGS
variables. Our environment variables don't contain those other
definitions that might be needed by other packages. I've tried to sort
this out and where needed the commands
in this book don't override the Makefile file variables, but there is
always the chance I have overlooked a few. Or a package seemingly
compiled fine but behaves strangly
when it's executed in some way. If a program behaves out of the ordinary
recompile that package without these optimization flags (by just not
passing the -e option to the
make command(s)) and see if that helps.

---

so, try to compile gcc without any optimization (get rid of the -O3
-mcpu and -march and use the defaults the gcc would normally set) and
try again.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org