Finshed... but probs... Please help me...

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 4 09:23:43 PDT 2000

> >BTW, Gerard, I really think you should consider *not* supporting
> >dynamically
> >linked bash because of this. Everything speaks for multiple file systems
> >instead of just one, and in the case of /usr/lib mounted somewhere else,
> >things can get really bad.

I think I've said this before. The book isn't going to do this. What
good is just having a static bash? if you want it for resque operations
you need static fileutils, static sh-utils, static text editor, static
util-linux, static e2fsprogs (so you can fdisk, mount, umount, mkfs,
fsck) and more of that. Where does it end. I do keep a static bash for
myself in case the mountfs script fails (when the rcS.d/Sxxmountfs link
is gone). I then mount stuff myself (mount only needs libc.so.6 and
ld-linux.so.2 which are both in /lib and my /lib is on root partition)
like /usr partition so I have the editor available and make changes
where I need.

If things don't work anymore because my /usr/lib directory is corrupted,
well, then I'm simply out of luck. That's when making backups comes in
handy. programs like tar, gzip/gunzip and bzip2/bunzip2 are in /bin and
only need libs from /lib so you could do a tar
	xvfz /usrlib-backup.tar.gz

to fix your /usr/lib directory from a recent backup.

If your /lib directory is screwed up, well, that means your entire Glibc
is wasted and nothing runs anymore. In that case you have to reinstall
the system (or at least glibc, so go back to redhat or debian or suse,
recompile Glibc and reinstall it). If you want to be prepared for
library failures then you better not use dymamic libraries and compile
each and every program you have statically. That way you don't have to
be afraid of these disasters. See my point?

What I'm trying to tell is that it's little use having a static bash.
You need more stuff static if you plan to use it for disasters. The book
isn't going to install all basic system software packages static. That's
just not going to happen. It's either everything or nothing in this
case. Since everything will be too much, it's going to nothing.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org