Compiling 'bzip2', the $(LDFLAGS) modification...

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 4 09:15:51 PDT 2000

> > The book (2.3.5b) reads that I should append "$(LDFLAGS)" after
> > "$(CCFLAGS), without the quotes, after every instance of "$(CC)
> > $(CCFLAGS) -o"...  I find two instances of this string in the
> > "Makefile"...
> >
> > But...
> >
> > There are other strings that contain "$(CC) $(CCFLAGS)", but not the
> > full string "$(CC) $(CCFLAGS) -o". Does this insertion of "$(LDFLAGS)"
> > apply to these other strings as well, or only the strings that have an
> > "-o" at the end of them (like the book says)...
>

> Do like the book says. There are two instances of the string "$(CC)
> $(CCFLAGS) -o". Replace only those two instances, even if another string
> resembles it closely.

Let me explain the "why I did it" part.
The other lines ( $(CC) $(CFLAGS) ) compile source files but they do not
link all object files into a binary (that's done with the -o flag -
links giving object file to output file specified with -o - see man
gcc). It is no use to compile a source file statically - it has no
effect whatsoever.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org