Order of installation...

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 4 09:12:03 PDT 2000

> Is there any reason my some things are installed in a certain order?
> I'm sure in most cases there is, but with others, does it matter?  For
> instance, does 'bash' have to be installed before 'binutils'?

Bash doens't have to be installed before binutils, but it has to be
installed after ncurses. Binutils has to be installed after flex (or
flex before binutils. Whichever way you want to look at it).

The original order in chapter 5 is alphabetically although you don't
see it due to dependencies that need to be fullfilled.

I started chapter 5 (the part after chroot) this way:

First recompile the compiler so that all compilations will be done with
the dynamic compiler (I just like doing it that way but it's not a
must). Then the ed and patch programs so that you can apply patches to
programs when needed.

Of all packages that are installed, autoconf is the first one to appear
in an alphabetically order.

So I start with autoconf. autoconf needs other packages to be installed
like texinfo, m4, perl, man, groff (well man and groff are needed so
that Perl knows how to handle man pages). autoconf depends on texinfo
and texinfo depends on something else (not sure but i'm just giving an
example). In the end these packages must be installed before autoconf
can be installed:

bison
mawk
findutils
ncurses
less
groff
man
perl
m4
texinfo

Again, these aren't immediate autoconf dependencies, they also fullfill
other dependencies (like you need perl for autoconf but you better have
groff, man and less for perl. You need ncurses for less, etc).

Then when that's done, I go with the next one which is automake. Nothing
extra needs to be done for automake, so right after autoconf automake is
installed. Then the next one in the list is bash. Bash is ok, so we go
on with binutils. We need flex and file for binutils so we install those
first. And so on. Get the picture?

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org