MAKEDEV is different...Hmmm...

Simon Perreault nomis80 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 4 07:28:30 PDT 2000

Hendrix wrote:

> Hmm...
>
> Why is it that when I use the MAKEDEV script to make a new /dev
> directory I only get 706 files, but when I look in my Red Hat 6.1 /dev
> directory I get over 2300 files...  This doesn't mean that I'll need to
> 'mknod' almost 2000 files does it...???*s*
>
> The MAKEDEV options I used are:
>
> MAKEDEV -v generic

"MAKEDEV generic" simply doesn't create every device you're ever going
to need. It creates, as it name implies, a generic (very basic) set of
devices. If you want to add a sound card to your computer, you must
"MAKEDEV audio". If you have a hdc, you must "MAKEDEV hdc". You're going
to encounter programs that need devices, and you're going to create them
along the way. You just don't have a bloated /dev directory as the RH
one.