make errors - solved

Tomislav Greguric greguric at stud.uni-frankfurt.de
Tue Jul 4 04:35:22 PDT 2000

Hi all,

> > It turns out that my K6/2 works fine as i686 for some installs,
> > but not for bash or gcc.  I'm now using -O3 -mcpu=i586
> > -march=i586 and life is better.
>
> Why not use -O3 -mcpu=k6 -march=k6?

neither one...

For an AMD-K6-2 use "-march=pentium -mpentiumpro", as it has an
Pentium compatible instruction set (except 3DNow!) and similar
scheduling like a Pentium Pro, AFAIK.

The "-march=k6" would slow down the execution time of programs and
"-march=i686" may generate unknown instructions for the K6/2.

Tomislav