i've made a start

Ed Riddle eriddle at linuxcare.com
Mon Jul 3 16:33:39 PDT 2000

Quoting Gerard Beekmans on Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 06:01:04PM -0400 :
> > The rule I was always taught for swap (on any system) was that it should be
> > *at least* the same size as your physical memory, and more than double your
> > physical memory is unlikely to be used *except* when there are errors, so if
> > you like running development software it is worth having lots of swap.
>
> I've heard that too but I don't agree. I have a 256MB RAM machine and I
> really don't need 256MB swap. I have a 100MB swap partition (give or
> take a few MB's) and it's more way way more than enough. Generally I
> don't even use any of my swap. I can run my system without swap if I
> have to (but I have it there just in case for some reason I need it).

That reminds me of my stupidity.  I did not run mkswap, and paid no
attention to the errors on boot.  Ran my lfs system for weeks without
any swap at all.  Finally, Netscape brought down my system abnormally,
so I fixed it.  I've been using gkrellm to monitor it, and it is rarely
used.  I have 128MB RAM.

Cheers,
Ed