Some tiny fixes to checkfs

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 3 14:43:52 PDT 2000

> Here are two fixes to the checkfs script I found:
>
> 1) At line 23, you should add ">/dev/null 2>&1" after the fsck command to
> remove the ugly message that breaks the nice uniformity of the green OK's at
> init time.

I actually like having extra messages from programs. Sure it's nice to
leave them out so your screen isn't messed up, but if gcc starts
complaining about errors I'd like to see what kind of errors it found
and it's hard to maintain a /dev/null log on what has been dumped to it
;)

> 2) Between line 40 and 41, you should add an else (if the fsck runs without
> errors), like this:
>     else
>         $SET_COL
>         echo -n ...
>         $GREEN...
>         etc.
> This way, if fsck runs without errors it prints a green OK.

Thanks, good idea. I wonder why it has never been there ;)

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org