/dev/pts

justin at j-catter.demon.co.uk justin at j-catter.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 2 16:19:11 PDT 2000

On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 02:39:36PM -0800, you wrote:
> > What's that line with /dev/pts doing?
>
> I have absolutly no idea!  It was in my previous distro's fstab.  Mounts
> just fine though, (after i created a /dev/pts directory)
>
> perhaps someone else could enlighten us....

It's something to do with psuedo terminals. If you do make menuconfig
there is a help on PTY support that explains further under the section
'Character Devices'. I've always left it out, there is another part of it
somewhere but I can't find it. What I mean is there used to be the
character device you could build as a module and another part under
'General Setup' or somewhere that configured the /dev/pts that could
receive pty's.... well, thats how I understood it.

IIRC in earlier kernels (2.0.n) this was marked as being dropped 'soon'.

HTH.
--
Th nw mnmlst .sig                                      Justin C by the sea.