i've made a start

Gioffre Torricio gioffreus at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 2 12:25:48 PDT 2000

Good move! Wishing you good fortunes in your adventure... It very
rewarding! :-)

See notes below --v

On Sun, 02 Jul 2000, andrew sprott says this:
> well folks, i've got so sick of 98 crashin every five seconds, so i've
> made a start.
>
> i've partition the remainin 13gb of my disk thus
>
> hda5=64mb : this is where the lfs boot partition will go
> hda6=64mb : the suse 6.4 boot partition
> hda7=10gb : i'm doin a complete install of suse from a dvd
> hda8=3gb : this will be the lfs partition
> and a 128mb swap partition

That is a lot of swap space! Consider how much real (physical) memory
your box has and double it at most for the swap. Still that may be
too much. When I had 32MB mem I still used only 64MB swap. No
problems there!

I started with a lot too. The distros IMHO use too much by default.
Now with 128MB of memory, I only ever see 20MB of it gets used by the
system. So, I have a couple smaller partitions for swap (totalling
only 64MB). I usually turn one of them off though and live with 32MB
swap.

> once lfs is installed, hda6 will become /root and hda8 will
> become /home.
>
> i've downloaded the contents of the ftp site and i'm goin to start
> the lfs install with version, err, the howto doesn't say what version
> it's dated 26th march 2000.

-- Check here for latest versions --
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/2.3.5b/       (v2.3.5b)