/etc/nsswitch.conf

Joachim Blaabjerg styx at mailbox.as
Wed Jan 6 01:49:11 PST 1999

On Wed, 30 May 2001 13:49:07 +0200
Usurpator <iqnullus at nt-admin.com> wrote:

> Networking doesn't works well on my LFS pre3 system [1]. When I run it
in a
> chroot jail (build OS: LFS2.4.4, kernel 2.4.2, glibc 2.2.0), I get this:
> root:/# ping 127.0.0.1
> ping: unknown protocol icmp.
> root:/# telnet 127.0.0.1
> telnet: tcp/telnet: unknown service
>
> but:
> root:/# telnet 127.0.0.1 23
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
>
> When I boot it, sysklogd gives an error (it says it doesn't know the UDP

> protocol) and agetty doesn't work at all.
> When I delete the /etc/nsswitch.conf file, and glibc uses its internal
> defaults, all troubles are over. My questions:
> - What do I have to change to get the system working _with_ a
nsswitch.conf
> file
> - Why do we include this file in the LFS distribution when the system
causes
> less problems and uses less disk space when we don't have this file. And
> can't imagine that someone wants to change this file.

> [1] Kernel 2.4.4
> Glibc 2.2.2 (book: 2.2.1)
> Utillinux 2.10o (book: 2.10o)
> Netkit-base 0.17 (book: 0.17)
> Net-tools 1.57 (book: 1.60)

I had the same problem. Cut-'n'-pasting the nsswitch.conf file didn't work
correctly. I didn't bother writing those few lines by hand (I'm fsck'ing
lazy ;]), so I just copied the nsswitch.conf file from my Debian distro.
The way I figured out what was wrong, was strace'ing `ping`, and checking
all the files it accessed.

--
Joachim Blaabjerg
styx at mailbox.as