[lfs-chat] Towards a "minimalist newtork"

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Jan 23 12:02:41 PST 2017

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 05:08:44AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 1/22/2017 4:21 PM, Gordon Findlay wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net>
> > wrote:

> > > Thank you.
> > > I have a Lenovo T43 and a T430 each supporting Ethernet, Fast Ethernet,
> > > and  Gigabit Ethernet. I've been told that a crossover cable would not be
> > > required as it would be with older hardware.
> > >
> > > I browsed the link briefly. If it doesn't solve my problem itself it
> > > appears that it will get me asking the "right" questions. The "right"
> > > questions lead to useful questions;/
> >

> > If there are only  two computers, setting up one up as a DHCP server for
> > the single client sounds like overkill.
>
> I'm adamant on minimal hardware. Once installed it's hard to get rid of. And
> in this case is detrimental to understanding basics.

DHCP can be useful in a network with an external connection - e.g.
you can pass the gateway address to any machine which joins the
network. But if you have exactly two machines, fixed addresses are
much simpler to setup - add the other machine to /etc/hosts and then
do whatever you want to do.  And crucially, there is less to go
wrong (both the client and the server might have errors in how DHCP
is configured when you first try to do it).

In LFS we value learning from mistakes, but we also value trying to
keep things simple.

OTOH, I really do wonder if you mean no internet connection - it is
"somewhat limiting", and you started by mentioning PPPOE.

ĸen
> --

for them.'     -- Small Gods