[lfs-chat] Towards a "minimalist newtork"

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Mon Jan 23 03:08:44 PST 2017

On 1/22/2017 4:21 PM, Gordon Findlay wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/22/2017 2:36 PM, Andrew Elian wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Try using a network crossover cable between the two computers. Then set
>>> one computer up as a server (running DHCP) and the other as a client.
>>>
>>> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Home-Network-mini-HOWTO.html
>>>
>>> The HOWTO is a little dated (like my hardware), but the approach is
>>> valid.  Some translation into modern software tools is required.
>>>
>>> Best of luck!
>>> andrew
>>>

>> Thank you.
>> I have a Lenovo T43 and a T430 each supporting Ethernet, Fast Ethernet,
>> and  Gigabit Ethernet. I've been told that a crossover cable would not be
>> required as it would be with older hardware.
>>
>> I browsed the link briefly. If it doesn't solve my problem itself it
>> appears that it will get me asking the "right" questions. The "right"
>> questions lead to useful questions;/
>

> If there are only  two computers, setting up one up as a DHCP server for
> the single client sounds like overkill.

I'm adamant on minimal hardware. Once installed it's hard to get
rid of. And in this case is detrimental to understanding basics.

If I follow a guide that assumes the installation of DHCP, when I
run into problems it will be simpler to ask assistance of those
who have used that guide. {Notice I said "when" not "if" ;}

> No internet connection means you can do as you please.

That's why I should have thought of this forum sooner. LFS
assumes a mindset.

> Just put a cable between them and  give them two private IP numbers on the
> same network.

The "what" is trivial. The "how" is not the first time.

> The private IP ranges are detailed at
> http://www.omnisecu.com/tcpip/what-are-private-ip-addresses.php

I already had the information in the body of that page.
*HOWEVER* there is a massive amount of context in three of the
items in the left column. *_THANK YOU_* for those links.