[lfs-chat] Towards a "minimalist newtork"

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Sun Jan 22 14:01:58 PST 2017

On 1/22/2017 2:36 PM, Andrew Elian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 08:31:22AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> My definition of a "minimalist network" is exclusively an enumeration of
>> what physical components. In my case that is two laptops with electrically
>> compatible Ethernet hardware and one Cat6 patch. *NO* routers/etc/etc/... .
>>
>>  From my reading, primarily Wikipedia, I believe what I'm aiming at would be
>> classed as either PPPoE or PPPoEoE. Although a Debian Jessie user I have
>> found some LFS documentation very helpful due its point of view.
>>
>> With that in mind, I am currently reading
>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable-systemd/ (Jessie uses
>> systemd} and I am searching archives at https://www.google.com/search?q=ethernet+site:linuxfromscratch.org&domains=linuxfromscratch.org
>> .
>>
>> Any further reading suggestions?
>> TIA
>
> Try using a network crossover cable between the two computers. Then set
> one computer up as a server (running DHCP) and the other as a client.
>
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Home-Network-mini-HOWTO.html
>
> The HOWTO is a little dated (like my hardware), but the approach is
> valid.  Some translation into modern software tools is required.
>
> Best of luck!
> andrew

Thank you.
I have a Lenovo T43 and a T430 each supporting Ethernet, Fast
Ethernet, and  Gigabit Ethernet. I've been told that a crossover
cable would not be required as it would be with older hardware.

I browsed the link briefly. If it doesn't solve my problem itself
it appears that it will get me asking the "right" questions. The
"right" questions lead to useful questions;/