[lfs-chat] Towards a "minimalist newtork"

Andrew Elian a_elian at live.com
Sun Jan 22 12:36:32 PST 2017

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 08:31:22AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> My definition of a "minimalist network" is exclusively an enumeration of
> what physical components. In my case that is two laptops with electrically
> compatible Ethernet hardware and one Cat6 patch. *NO* routers/etc/etc/... .
>
> From my reading, primarily Wikipedia, I believe what I'm aiming at would be
> classed as either PPPoE or PPPoEoE. Although a Debian Jessie user I have
> found some LFS documentation very helpful due its point of view.
>
> With that in mind, I am currently reading
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable-systemd/ (Jessie uses
> systemd} and I am searching archives at https://www.google.com/search?q=ethernet+site:linuxfromscratch.org&domains=linuxfromscratch.org
> .
>
> Any further reading suggestions?
> TIA

Try using a network crossover cable between the two computers. Then set
one computer up as a server (running DHCP) and the other as a client.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Home-Network-mini-HOWTO.html

The HOWTO is a little dated (like my hardware), but the approach is
valid.  Some translation into modern software tools is required.

Best of luck!
andrew