[lfs-chat] The wonder of Groff

Peng HG craftyflicker at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 10 15:15:01 PDT 2016

I was looking at TeX Live, and was put off first by its bloat and then by TeX's labyrinthine syntax. So I started looking around for alternatives, and was led back to something in LFS base -- Groff. LFS has this package to support the man pages I guess, but after looking through its docs I'm surprised at how rich it is. It can do much more than generating term manuals. It was used to typeset entire books including Collins English Dictionary & Thesaurus! Few use it now it seems. A shame. Check out it's highly readable documentation (for a Groff macro pack called mom):

http://www.schaffter.ca/mom/momdoc/toc.html