[lfs-chat] Program for creating music?

Emanuele Rusconi emarsk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 06:11:00 PDT 2016

Have a look here:

http://libremusicproduction.com/
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/
https://www.linuxmusicians.com/
http://slackermedia.info/
https://thecrocoduckspond.wordpress.com/2015/10/26/pro-audio-linux-documentation/

Which program to use depends heavily on your preferences and your workflow.
Some popular DAWs are Ardour, Qtractor and Rosegarden. Reaper is a Windows
one that works well under Wine and many people like it.

The "problem" with Linux audio is that the software tends to be modular:
you need to use several programs together as opposed to do everything
within one. This is more flexible but also more complex, and the learning
curve is steeper than just learning to use one program.
The most "all in one" piece of software is probably LMMS. I really don't
like it but it's well suited for the genre you're aiming for and maybe if
fits your bill. Another one is Bitwig, I think, but it's not free (not even
gratis).

I'm not into that kind of genre, so I don't know well the workflow
involved. Probably someone at the LinuxMusicians forum (the second link)
will be more helpful than me.

-- Emanuele Rusconi