Problem running runtest in DejaGNU

Brandon Peirce brandon_peirce at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 25 13:04:12 PDT 2006

On 20 Jun 2006, Deepak Mishra wrote:
>Hi ;
>I am waiting for answer from some one..
>Please answer..
>Thanks in advance
>Regards
>Deepak
>
>Hi ..
>I am  trying to install LFS v6.1.1
>I have installed upto DejaGNU and have followed the book properly.
>now i am finding problem when i am running the test program of
>DejaGNU-1.4.4
>
>it gives the following out put. Please help me.
>--------------------------------------------------o/p----------------------------------
>lfs:/mnt/lfs/sources/dejagnu-1.4.4$ runtest
[snip]
>Using /tools/share/dejagnu/config/unix.exp as generic interface file for
>target.Using ./config/unix.exp as tool-and-target-specific interface file.
>Running ./baseboards/a29k-udi.exp ...
>ERROR: tcl error sourcing ./baseboards/a29k-udi.exp.
>ERROR: can't read "board": no such variable
>    while executing
[snip]
>=-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm.  You had me stumped there!  But now I think I see what is happening...
There is no test suite for DejaGNU itself.  You are running the user command
that is installed by DejaGNU.  For this command to work properly, it needs
to run in a (current working) directory which has a whole bunch of
subdirectories and files defining the testsuite that it is supposed be run.
Since you are running the command in the DejaGNU source directory and there
is no working testsuite in there but there are a lot of files intended to be
included in other working testsuites, it is not surprising that runtest gets
confused and produces garbage output.

have to do a configure and a make install for this package.  The runtest on
that page is not a command you have to execute, it is under the description
of the package contents.

The runtest command is used in the testsuites for some other packages, e.g.
the very next package in the book: GCC.  Runtest will be run there by make
when you do the make check for that package.

So don't worry, probably everything is fine with your DejaGNU installation
if you did the other steps correctly.

>Also i have one more query..
>If i want to stop installation and continue some other time.. can I
>shutdown? or i will loose all the settings??

Sure, no problem.  As long as you wait for whatever command is actually
running to complete and then shut down cleanly.  You can even shut down
after running the configure for a package and come back another day to
compile and install it.  This will work as long as you log back in with the
lfs user and you have set up the .bashrc correctly for that user as
described in chapter 4.4.

>Please help me
>Thanks in advance
>
>Deepak