when PS1='\u:\w\$ ' and user is root, prompt is still $ under bash

Andrea Reina andrea at mandalaspa.com
Tue Jun 6 09:20:35 PDT 2006

I've finished the LFS build, stable book 6.1.1, followed it word for
word except for installing packages using the package-users method. Bash
3.0 with the prescribed patches.

The issue is this: my LFS installation of bash shows a $ for the root
prompt, when given the PS1 envar should, according to the bash info and
man pages, give me #. Quirky, hardly show-stopping, which is why I'm
bringing it up here instead of blfs-support, where the issues are more
pressing and critical.

The bash prompt I get with my host/main distribution (Ubuntu 6.06)
responds to the uid correctly when dealing with the \$ prompt for the
PS1 envar.

Any as to where to go from here to diagnose the issue would be very much
appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Walk in peace.
Andrea Reina